Salary: $32,000 - $34,000 (Full-time); $15.38/Hr - $16.34/Hr
Established in 1992, HSC’s mission is to increase access and opportunities for Latinos and influence the systems that serve them. HSC is a private, non-profit organization whose work focuses on developing opportunities that result in an educated, healthy, prosperous, and engaged Latino community. To achieve our mission and purpose, our programs focus on increasing the academic performance of Latino children through parental involvement, improving healthy living and eating behaviors, and improving the quality of life through civic engagement of Latinos at all levels in our community.
In 2012, HSC received recognition from the Department of Justice (DOJ) to offer low-cost immigration legal services to the immigrant community and, established its Immigration Legal Services and Advocacy (ILSA) program. ILSA staff is accredited by DOJ to offer immigration legal services from completing USCIS immigration applications to representation in Immigration Court.
The Immigration Legal Assistant will work alongside a team of experienced immigration professionals to provide accurate, concise, ethical, and timely immigration legal services to our clients. Candidates must possess the skills to work under pressure, be able to meet deadlines, and to comply with legal research demands.
Primary Job Duties:
• Conduct client interviews to obtain information and required documentation for case preparation
• Enter and maintain data in Case Management System (Law Logix) for case completion
• Assist with the preparation of immigration applications for final case disposition by Project Director
• Review forms for accuracy to prepare organization of documents for signatures by Project Director
• Make copies of case for client/office file
• Ensure proper organization of documents after case is prepared/completed
• Case Follow up as needed with client
• Keep file notes current in case file/LawLogix
• Perform legal research as directed by the Project Director
• Protect client’s confidential information
• Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
• Associate degree or higher required
• A minimum of one year of immigration law experience preferred.
• A minimum of 2 years of administrative or legal work experience required.
• Strong oral and written communication skills in Spanish and English, including the ability to relate effectively to HSC clients, staff, community members, and legal representatives.
• Strong ability to take initiative, manage and complete multiple tasks within deadlines, and work in a team
• Good people skills, enthusiastic approach to work, punctual and reliable, and the ability to communicate well across cultures.
• Discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality is a must
• Excellent problem-solving skills and strong attention to detail
• Knowledge about Microsoft Office applications and experience using online case management software
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) required
Written professional references required at time of application. Please submit resume and cover letter to Gloria Avila at Gloria.Avila@hispanicservicescouncil.org.
NO phone calls, please.